top of page

Early-AM fire destroys Tumalo-area detached garage

Crews keep flames from reaching nearby home

By: KTVZ.COM news sources

Posted: Feb 01, 2019 09:43 AM PST

Updated: Feb 01, 2019 11:03 AM PST

TUMALO, Ore. - A detached garage was destroyed by a fire in the Tumalo area early Friday morning, but firefighters were able to stop it from spreading to the nearby home, officials said.

The Bend Fire Department responded around 3:40 a.m. to the reported fire in the 65300 block of Tweed Road, Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said.

The detached garage was fully ablaze when crews arrived, with flames threatening to spready to the nearby home, but crews quickly stopped it from spreading, Derlacki said.

The occupants of the home had heard a noise and went to investigate, found the garage on fire and called 911.

The garage had been used for woodworking and storage. Derlacki said the cause of the fire could not be determined, due to the extent of damage.

Losses were estimated at $30,000 to the building and $10,000 worth of contents.

Both the owner and occupants have insurance policies for the structure, the fire official added.

The Cloverdale Fire Department provided a mutual-aid water tender to the scene, Derlacki said.

bottom of page